In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I'm Not Ashamed

I have a little time before we have to leave this morning, so I'll put up a quick post.

My birthday is coming up. It's about a week after Thanksgiving, so often the Thanksgiving weekend is also a combination birthday party with my family. My family came last Friday, and they are staying until Monday. I have mentioned that I need some new pants, both casual and for work. My grandmother decided that she would get me pants. She wanted to go shopping for them with me.

So we went off to the mall to get pants. The difficult thing was that my grandmother can't move very fast any more. She also gets tired out. So, we didn't go very far...just to JC Penny's for some Dockers. As I was walking through the mall, I wondered, "Is it normal for a 29-year old (on my birthday, I'll be 29 - not 30, so you can't rib me too much) to still go pants shopping with his grandmother?"

Maybe it's not. After all, I didn't see a whole lot of multigenerational groupings at the mall. But you know what, I don't care. I love my grandma. I'm cheap enough to take her generosity. And I needed the pants anyway.

The one caveat is that because she was getting tired rather quickly, we didn't spend a lot of time shopping. Eventually, we chose some stuff (two pants and two shirts) and just bought them. If they don't fit, or if I decide I don't like them, I'll return them for something else.

So, I guess I get the best of both worlds. I get to spend one-on-one time with my grandma. I got pants. And I can still go shopping. It's a win-win!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Dodd said...

I'm glad you got to spend time this way. I was very close to my mother's mother who died when I was 29. I had recently been ordained a priest, and I was able to convince the medical staff to let me stay with her when they ran everyone else out of the room when she was dying. It may sound strange, but it remains a special memory to me. I am grateful that at the end, her family was not just huddled outside a door while she was surrounded by strangers. At least one of her bloodline was there to say we loved her and goodbye.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home