In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Thursday, November 03, 2005

RENT is Coming!

Today, I went to my Thursday lunch/BS with a network of friends. We are all very committed to social justice, diversity, and keeping ourselves accountable to one another. I really enjoy meeting with the group.

Today, we were especially thankful for each other's company. We also were talking about our values, and our struggle to make those values a reality in our world. It's a very frustrating world, and we should be lucky to have friends to travel the road with us. I know...I already wrote a post gushing about my friends. Bear with me.

Our conversation started me thinking about RENT. I very much enjoy the stage production of RENT, and I'm very excited about the movie coming out on November 23rd. I want to go on the opening night, and I want friends to go with me.

For those of you who don't know, RENT is an adaptation of Puccini's opera, La Boheme. It takes the same bohemian characters and places them in Manhattan's East Village, in the midst of the AIDS crisis. It was a very powerful play that spoke to a generation (my generation!). The plot tracks a group of friends through a year of their lives and loves.

The story of RENT, the musical is made more powerful by the fact that Jonathan Larson, the man who wrote and composed RENT, died the day before opening night.

disappointed in the movie. Of course, it will be different, but thatAnd now, the movie is coming. From what I've heard, people who really like the play will not be doesn't mean it won't be better. I'm excited to see it. And I want my own circle of friends around to enjoy it with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home