In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Day of Rest?

I realized that I haven't posted anything on here since my depressing entry from Thursday. I'm in a much better mood. Thursday was one of those days that just seemed to be pointless. Thank goodness that feeling doesn't linger for too long. I'm still in a pretty healthy spot.

Anyway, today is one of those days when you just run around a lot. I was at worship this morning, then met with kids to start to plan the journey to the National Youth Gathering (a good time for all!). Now I'm getting ready to attend a meeting of Lutherans Concerned/Twin Cities about a conference I'm planning. After that, I head to the GLBT Youth Group I work with on Sundays. Then comes hip-hop worship.

For me, Sunday has not much been a day of rest. It sometimes seems busier than the rest of the week. This is where I have to discipline myself to take Sabbath at various intervals.

Sabbath is more than just a commandment from God. It's a way we need to run our lives so that we don't burn ourselves out. I do a LOT, so I am a high-risk burn-out candidate. Sabbath helps to keep my mind clear and clean. It opens my heart. It allows me to not be in charge, but to follow the Spirit of God.

Breaking Sabbath is a commandment that people have simply ignored. Many people brag at how they break this commandment (it's one of the Top Ten, you know). I just bragged about it a couple of paragraphs up. I'm not proud of that, but it is a part of my human condition. What I need to be careful of, is not to fall away from Sabbath. I must rest my heart and mind.

I seek Sabbath moments in the hectic pace of my life. I pray you can do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home