In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Sunday, October 30, 2005

I Love My Friends

This weekend, my other half and I spent a lot of time in community with friends. Hardly any of it was planned. It just happened.

Friday night, we went to a CD release party for a friend of ours. Because of a strange mix of connections, I knew nearly everyone in the room for various reasons. Some were from my college, some were from an organization I was once affiliated with (although I had a less than positive experience with it...I'll dwell on bad memories later), and others are friends that I work on projects with. For me, it was a strange mix of people. They are all from different "worlds" of my life...although the barriers between those worlds are collapsing. It was a great time for the two of us, and it was fun to connect.

Yesterday, one of our friends called us and asked if we wanted to enjoy a cup of coffee. They live in the far south suburbs, so we don't see them very often. Rather impulsively, we drove off to Edina to meet them at a Caribou Coffee. We spent nearly three hours, just chatting with them about life.

Then, when we came home, another friend came over to eat dinner with us and chat. My other half wanted to finish some projects, so we all sat near the project and chatted and worked together. It was great!

Every time we have a weekend when we connect with friends, I get very nostalgic about our friends. At one point, we bought our duplex so that our friends could live near to us. It didn't work out that way, but I still wish there was a way we could all connect more often. We always want to have group dinners. It would save us all money, since we would run it like a potluck. We could have a good time together.

This post is just me gushing about our great friends. They are people who help us to see ourselves as others see us. They encourage us and challenge us. I want to be able to spend more time with them.

A commune is sounding more appealing all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home