In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Sunday, July 13, 2008

First Week of Summer

I feel like I just finished my first week of summer.

I know what you are saying, "Doy, Ross, summer is half-over." But I've been preoccupied.

First, you need to understand that I LOVE summer. It's my favorite season. When the days are shortening in the fall, I miss the long, slow summer days that have just ended. When winter dumps another 8 inches of snow on us and bites us with wind-chill, I long for the days when I can walk around in shorts and a t-shirt at night and be comfortable. When spring begins to get lighter, I wait in anticipation of a time when it will be light out until 9:00 at night (at my latitude). Yes, summer is a special time/place for me. I like light. I like warmth. I like a different schedule than I have between September and May.

But I haven't noticed it much this year. I've been too busy. Busy preparing first for a Youth Theology Institute and then for Hearts on Fire. Both of these projects were all-consuming. I spent my days at a desk, or on the phone, or in a room somewhere. I didn't go for walks. I didn't sit in the backyard. I barely mowed the lawn.

And now it's over. I don't have a project that is taking all day and all night. I was able to take a walk this evening. I walked by the park, and I noticed that they filled the pool with water. I hadn't seen it before. Of course, they always fill the pool in early June, but I didn't witness it. Maybe it's also because I don't have a dog to walk around several times a day.

The walk was lovely. I enjoyed being outside. I have enjoyed having a relaxed schedule, for a while. I'm enjoying summer...and it's half over.

I still have TNP Summer Camp in a few weeks, but since that is at a camp, I think I'll appreciate being outside while I'm there. I just need to BE in summer.

I hope your summer is going well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home