In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Feeling Alone

A while ago, Richard and I were talking about our futures and where we would like to go from here. We often felt that we had planted deep roots in the Twin Cities area. We established a good network of friends, and many of my friends from high school and college were around the Twin Cities.

However, lately I've been aware of the exodus of my friends. It started a couple of years ago when one of my best friends got married and eventually moved to South Dakota. Just a few weeks one of my other best friends packed his car and moved to the east coast. And currently, another very close friends is in the process of moving back to Northern Minnesota.

Quite honestly, I considered these three people to be my best friends. At one time, we were relatively near each other. We could visit one another or meet somewhere. Now, they are scattered across the US with other lives to occupy their time. Only I have remained here.

It's funny, because I always saw myself as a transient person. I didn't think that I would stay in one place so long. Sometimes, I can't believe that I'm the only person who has stayed put while my friends have moved on. But I think that my friends were a part of the reason why I felt so rooted in this place. Now that they are gone, what is holding me here? Security? Tradition? Fear of relocating and finding a job?

Yes...to all.

Sometimes I long to be a free spirit, just roaming around finding work as it comes along. Other times, I am thankful that I don't deal with the uncertainty of not knowing where my next paycheck is coming from. I have grown up. I live a responsible, adult life. Can I still have a sense of adventure? I certainly hope so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vic Mansfield said...

I know that loneliness. Present, and yet to come.

Email and such can help us stay connected, but it isn't the same as the personal contact. But don't let the distance stop you from trying.

And, I believe things are emptied in order that they might be filled anew. Persevere, friend.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home