In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Value

"Value" is a word that has been cropping up around me more and more. The more I hear it, the harder time I have defining what value is.

I'm not talking about "values". Those tend to be talking points. I mean value, what increases the worth of something.

It's been coming up in my MBA class. We are talking a lot about what adds value to a product or service. I'm having a hard time imagining what creates value. Of course, there are things that make something more valuable. But now we are supposed to be deciding what processes add value and what don't. I've never thought in those terms before.

It also came up in our Campus Ministry staff meeting yesterday. I was describing some work that we have done. I had compiled a list of activities. Someone said that I should re-organize the list by telling what is adding value to what we are doing.

So this same concept has arisen in two different contexts. Apparently, I need to start thinking about value more often, and not just listing what already happens.

If any of you have thoughts on value, please share.

1 Comments:

Blogger LutheranChik said...

I don't always think it's valuable to think of what we do in the Church in an "outcomes-based" way. On the other hand, how much time do we spend spinning our wheels on various programming that doesn't really serve anyone because no one wants to be a stakeholder in the endeavor?

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home