In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Sunday, February 24, 2008

What I'm Studying Now

I'm beginning a new MBA class this week. It's called Strategic Technology. I'm wasn't quite sure what the class is about, just by looking at the title. At first, I thought it was questioning whether your computer should be on the right side or the left side of your desk.

However, it turns out that this is going to be a pretty full and demanding class. There is a lot of reading (that I'm working on this weekend).

One of the things that I sometimes get uncomfortable with in our MBA classes is the capitalism focus. I'm trying to take what I'm learning to apply a missional or theological lens for understanding how non-profits and churches can better engage.

However, I am clearly the only one in my class who things the way I do. There was a revelation a few classes ago that perhaps values might be more important than money. Students were stunned to realize this. I just felt dirty.

Anyway, if you want to get a sampler of what I'm looking at for the next 7 weeks, take a look at this:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Duckworth said...

I dabbled in an MBA a few years ago, earning about 12 or 15 credits. It was a good experience for me, but I realized that crunching numbers (accounting and finance) wasn't for me. I think I would have been fine in the management and marketing side, but the numbers side of things tripped me up.

I was at Temple University, a large, state-run comprehensive university in Philadelphia. What was impressive is that my MBA courses were much more diverse than any theology or seminary course I had ever taken. There were four languages other than English spoken in my intro to finance course - Chinese, Russian, Spanish, and French (of the Haitian, not Continental, variety). Every hue of skin color was represented there. It was an amazing thing.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

So, it is interesting that here we have two white guys in suits and ties. Yep, blessings to you Ross and your dear one as well.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home