In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gustav

Next weekend, I was to go to New Orleans for the Many Stories, One Voice conference. I just got word that the conference was canceled due to Hurricane Gustav.

Another strange thing happened. I had some email correspondence with a pastor from Slidell, LA. She sent a message to everyone in her address book (I'm assuming) that asked her congregation to let her know where they were. She also included a litany for a hurricane. Several people have hit "reply to all" and told of their plans, including cell phone numbers. I'm a witness to their action, but I don't know any of them. I'm sincerely hoping that these people who I know only by name will be safe and out of harms way.

My disruption in travel plans isn't really the big deal here. We need prayers and action going to the Gulf Coast right now. I am sincerely praying that people are evacuating and getting outta dodge so that they can be safe...safer than before.

I'm praying that we don't bungle this up again. I'm praying that our president will decide that working with people in life-threatening peril is more important than making a personal speech at the RNC, which happens to be in the other Twin City.

I pray that we have learned how to move into a disaster and help people, instead of just throwing bombs and blaming another country.

I pray that those who blame the hurricane on Southern Decadence will have their hearts turned. That someday they will learn that a hurricane is caused no more by a party than by a political convention.

This has me worried. I've been working in the Gulf Coast since Katrina, and I don't want the progress that was made to be erased. Many of these people can't take it again.

This is a prayer that will be too deep for words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home