In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Sunday, December 03, 2006

I Love Advent Hymns

The title pretty much says it all. I think my favorite season of hymns is Advent. There is something with all the expectation in the lyrics. There is desire and longing. There is even the recognition that God is breaking into our lives now.

This morning, we sang the classic of Advent hymns: O Come, O Come Immanuel. This is probably the quintessential of Advent hymns. It has the hint of chanting. It calls on God in God's various forms.

Another, newer (to me) Advent hymn is All Earth Is Hopeful. This is in WOV. I love how this song flows along. One verse flows into the next.

Yet another minor song is Come Thou Long Expected Jesus. One Sunday morning, when I was a part of the traveling music ministry team, I improvised on this song for the hour between two worship services. It was an incredible feeling! It has kept a strong connection for me since that time.

Another fun, upbeat hymn is Hark, the Glad Sound! This one is perfect for a processional. It just demands marching.

I think that the hymnody helps to play into my feelings for Advent. The music can really set the expectant mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home