In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Math Madness!

I've made reference to my MBA program. Often, people ask me why I'm in such a program.

The short answer is, "I don't know."

The flippant answer is, "It's a fun degree to get on the side."

The more thoughtful answer is, "I can challenge myself and learn some new skills that could be handy, no matter where I work or what I do."

I am still thinking/planning on pursuing my PhD in the coming years. This PhD would be in practical theology, social ethics or Christian Education. I've been scoping out a few different schools and programs.

On one level, the MBA is a momentum-builder. I've been out of school for a while (I finished my first Master's degree in 2003). Maybe I need to re-immerse myself in an academic environment, and that will propel me through a PhD program.

On the other hand, I've been told that you only have so much energy for graduate school, and the MBA might be sapping my energy that could be poured into a PhD program.

The reality is that I won't be able to start my PhD program for at least another year. I haven't started applying again. I'm just sitting here. I'd rather be busy than just be bored. So why not do a program. It's offered by the school where I work. I get a steep discount. It's a one night a week class for 21 months. I don't have to put any significant effort into it.

For example, right now, we are studying Quantitative Decision Making. We've been going through probability, forecasting, and inventory. The interesting thing is that these are going to help me understand statistics that I would be reading later. Of course, math isn't easy, but it's challenging. It hasn't killed me yet. This class is probably the most beneficial one that I've taken so far.

See, the MBA can be worth my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home