In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Friday, June 08, 2007

Rushed Breakfast

This morning, we have some big meetings with incoming students. We've been preparing for these meetings for some time, getting folders put together and ordering food. Normally, this is not a difficult task, but we all work part time. The summertime is especially sparse, so it's difficult to get these sort of tasks done in a timely manner.

Today is the first of this series of meetings. I arrived early (I was the first one here), and I helped to prepare the room for the meeting. Soon, my colleagues all arrived. Then I left.

Where did I go?

I took off in my car for a Columbian restaurant to eat breakfast with my mom. She was traveling to Mississippi and had a layover in the Twin Cities. Instead of just meeting her at the airport for some Starbucks (the only food place outside the security area), my Other Half picked her up at the airport and they came to a place near me. I met them and ate my food quickly, kissed my mom and came back to the college.

I got back about 30 minutes before the first students were scheduled to arrive and we went into the meetings.

Why is this story relevant to anything?

I feel very close to my family, but I don't see them as often as I would like. I now live a 5-hour drive from my parents and my grandparents, and I don't make that drive very often. However, I do attempt to take advantage of any time they are in the area. My sister sometimes comes into the area, and I would like to make a better effort to come and visit her. Right now, she's spending the summer in St. Cloud (a nearby city). I hope I can see her on occasion over the summer.

I like taking advantage of these small opportunities to see my family. They are mini-adventures. It's fun to arrive, pick up my parents at the airport, eat dinner, and return them to the airport in time to catch their plane.

This morning was an added adventure, since I was the one who had to get back to work quickly!

I enjoyed my rushed breakfast.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Dodd said...

Lucky you (and your mom)! My parents don't fly and my father can no longer endure a two-day drive to come see me. Needless to say, they are never just in the neighborhood. I don't get much in the way of vacation time, and because of where I live and where they live, driving is almost as reasonable finance- and time-wise as flying. So once a year for a week... not the best deal! I decided ten years ago for their 50th wedding anniversary that I would call them every week, so that is a nice regular contact. I also began a blog just for my family and that is a way for me to keep them up to date on what is happening to me.

Which is a long-winded way of saying I envy you the opportunity to just run out and catch a rushed breakfast with your mom!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WISH I could of joined you for breakfast. I really miss seeing you. Hope we can get togther soon,
Gram

6:49 PM  
Blogger bjm said...

Awww! Thanks we love getting to see you too--even if it's only for a short time. And we really appreciate it when you pick us up at the airport--so we're not just sitting there for several hours. I wouldn't have had to rush back, because my flight was delayed by two hours.

Love you!
MOM

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home