In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Monday, June 18, 2007

Eight Random Facts

I was tagged by ChurchNerd to do this meme. I don't often do them, but this seems like it's worth a shot:

THE RULES:
1. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
3.At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

THE FACTS:
1. When I was growing up, we had a cocker spaniel with only one eye. He was born that way (or he lost it very early in life). You could see stuff in the empty hole where the eye should have been. Gross...but cool!

2. This is also about growing up, but it's fun to share: My family didn't have a telephone in our house until 1994...when I was a junior in high school. We lived so far out in the woods that the phone lines stopped five miles before our house. We also didn't have much television for quite a while. At first, I could only get CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) and PBS from Bemidji, MN.

3. Lest you think that I had an underprivileged childhood, we had some cool features to our house as well. We did NOT live on a farm, as you might be led to believe from the above description. We lived in an old DNR forestry station that was surrounded by woods. Our house had an 80-foot lookout tower. You could climb it and see all over the trees. When I was about nine years old, we took the little house off the top and put a windmill up there, so we could generate some of our own electricity. The windmill stayed in place until my junior year of college, when a drunk driver went through our yard and hit the tower, toppling it. He wasn't hurt, and the tower didn't hit anything. But the tower was lost to us forever.

4. Ever since I was a kid, I've felt the need to sleep with my ear covered. Even if it's really hot, I need to have the sheet pulled up over my ear. I feel very "exposed" if it's uncovered. I'm not sure what that's about.

5. I lived in Brussels, Belgium for a year following my graduation from high school. I was a Rotary Exchange Student, which, in my opinion, is the best exchange program. I base this on the fact that in most of the world Rotary is rich old men who have nothing better to do than lavish their money on you. I was in a much higher class family than I came from (no offense to my lovely family).

6. I used to be able to recite the "McDonald's Menu Song". I don't know if you remember it, but it listed everything that was on their menu (at the time). I used to sing it at the counter of McDonald's and then get a free treat for my performance.

7. I'm just a little color-blind. It's not drastic enough that I can't tell the difference between red and green. However, I do have a hard time distinguishing shades of green and brown. I've come to the harsh realization that I own more green pants than I thought I did. I kept thinking they were brown pants, and my other half tells me that they are green. He keeps forgetting that I don't realize that, so it's always an awkward line of, "Don't you realize...oooohh, you don't!"

8. I've never lived alone. I moved from my family into a floorhouse in college to an apartment with my other half into a house with my other half and a rotating list of roommates.

THE TAGGING:
Oh, I don't know. I think you should all hear from my mother on this one. After her, I'll just consider you all tagged.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi: I don't know if I'm suppose to comment on this or not but>> You make it sound like you lived in the wilderness, you forgot to mention you lived on State Highway 65.
Also you said you lived in an OLD Foresty station, It was a newly remodled 3 bedroom house with full basement, also a 4 stall garage with an office on the end + a couple of smaller out buildings.
Do you still sleep with your ear covered? Someone should be able to tell you the meaning of that.
G

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home