In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

In the Between

Sorry for my absence in the blogosphere. There has been a lot happening in the past few weeks, and I've been too busy living life to be able to write about it.

I spent Easter weekend in New York City. Those of you who are longer-term readers of my blog will recall that I have a growing obsession with the city. It was like another fantasy come true.

First, you may ask yourself why I would be in New York for Easter. It has long been a family tradition that my father has an annual convention, and it is always scheduled the week of Easter. It begins on Tuesday of Holy Week and ends on Saturday morning. When I was growing up, this was our family vacation. The really fun aspect was that we would celebrate Easter worship with some different congregation.

I haven't done this family trip for quite a few years, but the siren call of NYC beckoned. My other half and I decided that we could revert to my high school days and crash in my parent's hotel room. My sister and her husband also did the same (although they got their own room - newlyweds). We enjoyed some great shows together and had some nice meals. We even separated for an evening to follow our own pursuits.

For Easter, we worshiped Holy Trinity Lutheran Church. The pastor is a friend of mine, and I happen to also know the congregational president and one of the seminarians. Not too shabby! After worship, we went the Easter "Parade". I'm using the term "Parade" loosely because there really is no parade. When you think of the Thanksgiving Day Parade you see on TV, think of the opposite of it. First, it was freezing! There was snow blowing onto 5th Ave. Second, about 15% of the people there were wearing funny hats or costumes of some sort. And we were all just milling around. There was no marching/walking in one direction. It was more of a very informal street party.

Our family Easter festivities also included a nice dinner all together. That was the perfect cap to the day.

This trip simply feeds the fantasy of living in NYC. We'll see.

Of course, I'm between travels again. This weekend, I'm gearing up to go to a convention in Nashville. It is the convention of an organization I was a part of in college. I wasn't going to go, but then I saw that Al Gore was going to be a keynote speaker. My reception happens to follow his presentation, so I'm hoping that he'll drop by to say hi. Then I can meet the "supposed to be" president of the United States - and an Academy Award winner!

There is a lot of cool stuff going on. My last post was about me being at the exhaustion point, but I am feeling quite good by now. It's like I have a new life...how Eastery!

I'll leave with my Easter greeting from my camp days:

He is a raisin!

He is a raisin with knees!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home