In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Akaloo! Gesundheit!


Every so often, I do some writing projects. At one time, I had a column in a local GLBT newspaper. The newspaper was short-lived and my pay was non existent. I've also helped to write some curriculum for Augsburg Fortress. This spring, I was asked to write two sections of a new program coming out called Akaloo!

Akaloo is supposed to be a life-long discipleship program. It integrates tough questions with the developmental process. If you get all of it, then you have curriculum for birth through old age. I wrote two sections for the senior high portion on Matthew and the church. I sent it all in on time, and have already gotten paid. So what's left?

Yesterday, I got my two free copies of the book. There are about a dozen writers for this book, so it's not like my writing career is taking off. However, it's fun to see something that you helped to write come back to you. Then, I looked at the two sections I wrote. I think it was doctored a little bit. However, I could still recognize my style hidden in the funky graphics. I'll tell you, it looks a lot different once the page is designed.

Honestly, I would like to write more. I would like to write about GLBT Youth Ministry, Urban Spirituality, or Queer Lutheran Theology. I'm sure that more topics could come to my mind, if I thought about it. Right now, I'm not sure I have the discipline to write something. Frankly, I'm surprised that this blog is still updated. However, I dream of being able to write something that is all my own. The curriculum is nice and all, but it's fitting into someone else's vision. I want to create my own vision.

So, feel free to go out and look at Akaloo. If you run across the green book titled, Questions for Life: Matthew's View (Grades 9-12), then go to the Church section and see if you can identify my two entries. It's like a scavenger hunt!

Eventually, I'll be telling you to look for other books (hopefully)!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Duckworth said...

The senior high Akaloo book is wonderful - I read it yesterday. Congratulations on your contribution to this book and curriculum. I hope that you'll continue to write for Augsburg Fortress . . .

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home