In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Back to Slogging and Blogging

I'm back. I realize I haven't posted anything for almost a week, so I thought that I'd put something up here.

I think most of my posts are about how I'm too busy. Right now, I really can't complain, because my other half is much busier. As I mentioned before, he is a full-time student. We both had spring break last week, and he didn't get through most of the stuff he wanted to get done. Now, we are back at school, and he still has a list of things to get done. Taxes, re-renting the other half of our duplex, fixing our computer network at home, etc. These things are still on the to-do list, and now assignments are coming back in.

I feel bad, because there is very little I can do to help out. I looked at the list, and these are all things that I don't feel competent to do. Actually, tonight I'll do some painting on the other half of the duplex...that's about it. I can't even do my own taxes until he's finished his. So, all I do is nag at him. He's doing the best he can, but life keeps getting more complicated all the time.

Here's the real rub: He believes that there will be a time when life will be calmer. I don't buy it anymore. There will always be some sort of stress or crisis going on. Even when things are good, we can find something to worry about.

In the sermon on the mount, Jesus preaches about worrying. Worrying doesn't help anything, but it also seems to be uncontrollable. We know that we will be taken care of, but we also know that there are things that we have to take responsibility for...like taxes.

Lent is a good time to think about worrying. It shows us the baggage that we carry around needlessly. If we want lives that are simpler, more focused on our walk with God, then we need to find out what else is taking our brainpower. If I'm crippled because of taxes, or the other half of the duplex, then I'm not refining my life. I'm simply maintaining.

I didn't expect to get this deep in this post, but I guess I've gotten here. I don't often edit my posts, so I'll let this one stand as is. But I'm going to be thinking today about what other clutter I have in my mind and my heart.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chad K said...

R, I have heard it said that we mistake the idea that God is a priority in life. Either God is #1 or something else. So if we put God first everything else will fall in place. But I wonder if it is a mistake to make God a priority. Instead, God stands on another level, maybe a level of relationship, and we decide if our other priorities help or inhibit this relational component or not.

It is not fair to make God one thing on a list, is it? Instead this relationship with God directs what is important and what is not conducive to this relationship.

I remember you blogging fairly recently about your desire to be more ecologically aware, etc...So for example, this relationship with God affects how you look at these issues--how you spend your money, what kind of car you buy, where you invest your money, and ultimately where you spend your time and what you invest your concern in.

Ok, so I probably have slogged this enough, but your reflection and other reminders I have of this push me to the edge to actually make decisions in my life that reflect my relationship with God, and that squash the little consumer and culture voices that are screaming in my head. Paz

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home