In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Yup, I'm Still an Extrovert


I really appreciated Joe's comments on my last post. I'm happy to know that there are others that feel the urge to want to meet each other. Actually, I'm still considering the idea of an "anonymous convention". We would wear paper bags over our heads and our name tags would read our blogs.

Yes, I mentioned that I'm an extrovert. However, tomorrow I'm departing with a group of students for a retreat where we are going to take a whole bunch of personality tests. Actually, I'm probably not going to take any of the tests, since I've done this same retreat twice a year for three years now. Anyway, one of the tests is the Myers-Briggs Personality test. I've taken this test several times before, and I come out with the same result.

Are you ready for it?

I'm an ENFJ.

Of course, for those of you who don't know what the Myers-Briggs test is, those four letters mean anything to you. Well, I'm not going to go into a lengthy explanation of the test or what the letters mean. You can Google it.

You may be asking yourself the big Lutheran question, "What does this mean?" This means that I get my energy from other people. I have compassion, and feel for others. I tend to see the big picture over the details, and I act with my gut about how I'm feeling. I'm also a big, anal-retentive freak about some things.

The J is the anal-retentive freak part. I like to make a decision quickly, and stand by that decision, even when evidence shows that we should change our decision. I hate to be late. In fact, I like to always arrive early, so I can mentally prepare for whatever I'm going to be doing. The J is a big factor in my life. It's a part of me that determines how well I get along with other people.

So there, I have found a way to reveal another part of my life to you, my dear readers (both of you).

Maybe next time, I'll debrief the ELCA Youth Ministry Extravaganza. It sure was extravagant!

2 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

I had to take that test for my "Careers in Sociology" class. I'm an ESFJ. Interesting that 4 little letters can "tell" so much about a person, eh?

11:50 PM  
Blogger Michael Dodd said...

I am an ISFJ, if it is okay to mention that and it won't upset any of you people. Not that I'm jumping to conclusions...

Actually, one thiny I like about the MMPI is that introvert and extrovert don't necessarily coincide with shy and rambunctious. When I told my fellow friars I was an introvert, they nearly snorted milk out their noses. Just try to shut me up! I enjoy being with people and love to teach. But it does sap my energy. My extrovert Partner has had to learn to adjust to this -- that after a fun-filled afternoon, I need to go sit in my own space for the evening. I have had to adjust to him needing to talk to everyone standing in line at the checkout and then being high as a kite as a result.

It reminds me of another one of these things I took years ago as part of a program for people preparing for cross-cultural ministry. (I thought I was going to Kenya at the time.) Whatever my "type" was (I don't even recall the test name anymore), I came out as needing solitude for personal reflection in order to understand things. The director wanted all of us of that type to get together and talk about what it meant. Almost in unison, we said, "What part of 'needs solitude' do you not understand?" She was honestly puzzled and we were highly amused. Not that we talked about it, of course.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home