In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Answering the Challenge

J offered me a challenge, and I have yet to take him up on it (as he reminded me in my last post). I also got a comment from Mark that I should not be ashamed of being a lay person.

First, let it be known that there was a LOT of sarcasm over the lay person comment. I get a little anti-clerical when I'm around pastors who are too full of themselves and their title (I know a few of those). Other times, I just expect people to be full of themselves, when they are really genuine folks.

So, to respond to both J and Mark's past comments, I have to say, "It's abso-flippin'-fragi-paisley-purple-tastic 2 b a lay person!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Vic Mansfield said...

Ross, trust me. Clergy are highly over rated! Check out Loren Mead's book "Five Challenges of the Once and Future Church" (a follow-up to his book "The once and future church.")

He feels the first challenge the Church must address is "(re)turning ownership of the church over (back) to the laity." The corollary to this is that the laity must take on that ownership.

Thank God for lay folk such as yourself who are not so intimidated by clergy.

Cheers, Joe.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Ross said...

I was really shaped by those two books, when I read them in college. I think they have really shaped how I look at the church.

The only thing I don't like about Laruen Mead (and several other post-modern writers) is their impending sense of doom and gloom. They are making too much money wallowing in the problem to be able to find a solution.

Good comments, thanks.

9:19 AM  
Blogger mark said...

glad to hear it, ross!
:)

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home