In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Remembering Brother Martin

I had said that I was going to catch you all up on my weekend. I've decided to change course. The wine and cheesecake social was delicious! The Youth Group got money. That's all you really need to know.

As you know, yesterday was celebrated as Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. At my college, MLK day is the last day of Christmas break. There are no classes, but we hold a convocation. I've always been pretty impressed with the convocations. They are entertaining. They are inspiring. They are challenging. I think that a good convocation, especially one honoring a civil rights leader needs to be all of these things.

Even though protestants don't really venerate the saints, I think that MLK is the closest contemporary saint we have. In worship on Saturday, the lectionary was altered so that the preacher could preach on some MLK themes. On Sunday, I went to a church I'd never been to before for worship. Several of my friends work at this church (in St. Paul - you know, the other side). The sermon was preached by a friend of mine who is a seminary student. Incidentally, his first-born daughter was also baptized at worship, which is why I went to worship there.

So what is it about the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr? I think simply, he was led by the Holy Spirit into a calling to make the world a better place.

What more can I say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home