In Lay Terms

Random Ramblings From a Church Nerd

Monday, February 12, 2007

Isn't that Interesting?

I've been away for a while. Needless to say, February is doing it's worst on me. At least I have a new post up before J does.

I really like the word "interesting". I like it in its purist meaning. It means that I have an interest in something. I want to learn more about it. I want to study and improve myself because this new idea or fact or phenomena is something that is worth the time and effort to study.

When I was in college, someone finally pointed out to me a second meaning of the word "interesting." It's the word you use when you are non-committal about an idea. Do you tell someone you don't like it? Of course not. So you use the word "interesting."

"What do you think of my Jello/Bacon Bit dessert I brought to the potluck?"

"It sure was...interesting."

Once I realized this meaning of the word "interesting", I noticed it everywhere, even in my own speech. I also began to realize that people would take my "interesting" to mean the non-committal sense of "interesting". I had a harder time convincing people I'm truly interested in the idea they are sharing.

However, lately I've been picking up on a new meaning to the word "interesting". It's a more cynical, passive-aggressive meaning. I've been around a few people who use the word "interesting" to mean "hypocritical".

"Isn't it interesting that they don't show up, but then are mad that they don't know what's going on."

"I find it interesting that we would be willing to pass this policy"
"Interesting" has almost been said with a sneer. It's very sad for me, because I still really appreciate the original meaning of "interesting". However, now the word has become a way for us to push our own agenda and pain on others.

Goodbye, "Interesting". I'll miss you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home